View Single Post
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM

Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50.7%
Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase
NMR Credits: 0
NMR Points: 0
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Solution and Solid-State NMR Structural Studies of Antimicrobial Peptides LPcin-I and LPcin-II.

Solution and Solid-State NMR Structural Studies of Antimicrobial Peptides LPcin-I and LPcin-II.

Solution and Solid-State NMR Structural Studies of Antimicrobial Peptides LPcin-I and LPcin-II.

Biophys J. 2011 Sep 7;101(5):1193-201

Authors: Park TJ, Kim JS, Ahn HC, Kim Y

Abstract
Lactophoricin (LPcin-I) is an antimicrobial, amphiphatic, cationic peptide with 23-amino acid residues isolated from bovine milk. Its analogous peptide, LPcin-II, lacks six N-terminal amino acids compared to LPcin-I. Interestingly, LPcin-II does not display any antimicrobial activity, whereas LPcin-I inhibits the growth of both Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria without exhibiting any hemolytic activity. Uniformly (15)N-labeled LPcin peptides were prepared by the recombinant expression of fusion proteins in Escherichia coli, and their properties were characterized by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry, circular dichroism spectroscopy, and antimicrobial activity tests. To understand the structure-activity relationship of these two peptides, they were studied in model membrane environments by a combination of solution and solid-state NMR spectroscopy. We determined the tertiary structure of LPcin-I and LPcin-II in the presence of dodecylphosphorylcholine micelles by solution NMR spectroscopy. Magnetically aligned unflipped bicelle samples were used to investigate the structure and topology of LPcin-I and LPcin-II by solid-state NMR spectroscopy.

PMID: 21889457 [PubMed - in process]

Source: PubMed

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No