View Single Post
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50.7%
Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase
NMR Credits: 0
NMR Points: 0
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Solution 1H NMR study of the accommodation of the side chain of n-butyl-etiohemin-I i

Solution 1H NMR study of the accommodation of the side chain of n-butyl-etiohemin-I incorporated into the active site of cyano-metmyoglobin.

Related Articles Solution 1H NMR study of the accommodation of the side chain of n-butyl-etiohemin-I incorporated into the active site of cyano-metmyoglobin.

J Biol Inorg Chem. 2005 May;10(3):283-93

Authors: Bondarenko V, Wang J, Kalish H, Balch AL, La Mar GN

In order to identify the most readily deformable portion of the heme pocket in myoglobin, equine myoglobin was reconstituted with a meso-n-butyl substituent on centrosymmetric etiohemin-I. Solution 1H NMR data for the low-spin iron(III) cyanide complex of oxidized myoglobin that include 2D nuclear Overhauser enhancement spectroscopy contacts, paramagnetic relaxation, and dipolar shifts resulting from magnetic anisotropy show that the heme binds uniquely to the iron in a manner that arranges the methyl and ethyl substituents on a given pyrrole in a clockwise manner when viewed from the proximal side, and with the n-butyl group seated at the canonical alpha-meso position of native protohemin-IX. The butyl group is oriented sharply toward the proximal side and its protein contacts demonstrate that it is oriented largely into the "xenon hole" in myoglobin. The location of the n-butyl group on the proximal side near the vacancies places it within the region found to be most flexible in molecular dynamics simulation. A small, counterclockwise rotation of the pyrrole N-Fe-N vector of n-butyl-etiohemin-I relative to that for native protohemin, indicated by both the prosthetic group methyl contact shift pattern and the prosthetic group contacts to heme pocket residues, is proposed to allow the xenon hole to accommodate better the n-butyl group. In contrast to previous work, which showed that a bulky polar substituent on etiohemin-I preferentially seats at the canonical gamma-meso position, the nonpolar n-butyl group selects the alpha-meso position.

PMID: 15821940 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Source: PubMed

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No