BioNMR
NMR aggregator & online community since 2003
BioNMR    
Learn or help to learn NMR - get free NMR books!

Go Back   BioNMR > NMR community > News from NMR blogs
Advanced Search

Jobs Groups Conferences Literature Pulse sequences Software forums Programs Sample preps Web resources BioNMR issues

Webservers
NMR processing:
MDD
NMR assignment:
Backbone:
Autoassign
MARS
UNIO Match
PINE
Side-chains:
UNIO ATNOS-Ascan
NOEs:
UNIO ATNOS-Candid
UNIO Candid
ASDP
Structure from NMR restraints:
Ab initio:
GeNMR
Cyana
XPLOR-NIH
ASDP
UNIO ATNOS-Candid
UNIO Candid
Fragment-based:
BMRB CS-Rosetta
Rosetta-NMR (Robetta)
Template-based:
GeNMR
I-TASSER
Refinement:
Amber
Structure from chemical shifts:
Fragment-based:
WeNMR CS-Rosetta
BMRB CS-Rosetta
Homology-based:
CS23D
Simshift
Torsion angles from chemical shifts:
Preditor
TALOS
Promega- Proline
Secondary structure from chemical shifts:
CSI (via RCI server)
TALOS
MICS caps, β-turns
d2D
PECAN
Flexibility from chemical shifts:
RCI
Interactions from chemical shifts:
HADDOCK
Chemical shifts re-referencing:
Shiftcor
UNIO Shiftinspector
LACS
CheckShift
RefDB
NMR model quality:
NOEs, other restraints:
PROSESS
PSVS
RPF scores
iCing
Chemical shifts:
PROSESS
CheShift2
Vasco
iCing
RDCs:
DC
Anisofit
Pseudocontact shifts:
Anisofit
Protein geomtery:
Resolution-by-Proxy
PROSESS
What-If
iCing
PSVS
MolProbity
SAVES2 or SAVES4
Vadar
Prosa
ProQ
MetaMQAPII
PSQS
Eval123D
STAN
Ramachandran Plot
Rampage
ERRAT
Verify_3D
Harmony
Quality Control Check
NMR spectrum prediction:
FANDAS
MestReS
V-NMR
Flexibility from structure:
Backbone S2
Methyl S2
B-factor
Molecular dynamics:
Gromacs
Amber
Antechamber
Chemical shifts prediction:
From structure:
Shiftx2
Sparta+
Camshift
CH3shift- Methyl
ArShift- Aromatic
ShiftS
Proshift
PPM
CheShift-2- Cα
From sequence:
Shifty
Camcoil
Poulsen_rc_CS
Disordered proteins:
MAXOCC
Format conversion & validation:
CCPN
From NMR-STAR 3.1
Validate NMR-STAR 3.1
NMR sample preparation:
Protein disorder:
DisMeta
Protein solubility:
camLILA
ccSOL
Camfold
camGroEL
Zyggregator
Isotope labeling:
UPLABEL
Solid-state NMR:
sedNMR

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:27 AM

Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50.7%
Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase
NMR Credits: 0
NMR Points: 193,617
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Receiver Gain and Signal-to-Noise Ratio

Receiver Gain and Signal-to-Noise Ratio

The signal-to-noise ratio in an NMR spectrum can be affected drastically the choice of the receiver gain setting, so care should be taken to set the receiver gain correctly for optimum results. At very low receiver gain settings, both the signal and the noise use only a fraction of the available digitization levels of the analog-to-digital concertor (ADC). As a result, the intensity of each point in the FID is represented with only a few possible values and the FID is "choppy". This is analogous to a black and white photograph being represented with a coarse gray scale of only a few shades of gray. Just like such a poorly represented photograph, the NMR spectrum contains a great deal of digital noise and therefore a low signal-to-noise ratio. As the receiver gain is increased, the FID is digitized with more available digitization levels. Since the thermal noise in the FID at low receiver gain settings is smaller than or comaparable the size of the digitization step of the ADC, the noise (unlike the signal) will not be amplified by increasing the receiver gain until it exceeds the size of the digitization step of the ADC after which it will be amplified in the same way as the signal. As a result, the signal increases more so than the noise as the receiver gain setting is increased therefore, the signal-to-noise ratio in the NMR spectrum increases steadily as the receiver gain setting is increased. As the receiver gain is increased beyond the point where the thermal noise exceeds the size of the digitization step, both the sginal and the noise can be digitized properly and the signal-to-noise ratio increases much less as a function of receiver gain setting increase. If the receiver gain is increased too much, the signal will exceed the limits of the ADC, the FID will be clipped at the beginning and the NMR spectrum will be severely distorted. The first figure below shows a series of spectra plotted as a function of the receiver gain setting. The spectra were scaled such that the signals were all of the same height. It is clear that the signal-to-noise ratio increases initially and then levels off. The data are plotted in the second figure.

Source: University of Ottawa NMR Facility Blog

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No