BioNMR

BioNMR (http://www.bionmr.com/forum/)
-   Journal club (http://www.bionmr.com/forum/journal-club-9/)
-   -   [NMR paper] NMR studies delineating spatial relationships within the cardiac troponin I-troponin (http://www.bionmr.com/forum/journal-club-9/nmr-studies-delineating-spatial-relationships-within-cardiac-troponin-i-troponin-6860/)

nmrlearner 08-22-2010 03:29 AM

NMR studies delineating spatial relationships within the cardiac troponin I-troponin

NMR studies delineating spatial relationships within the cardiac troponin I-troponin C complex.

Related Articles NMR studies delineating spatial relationships within the cardiac troponin I-troponin C complex.

J Biol Chem. 1994 Sep 23;269(38):23731-5

Authors: Krudy GA, Kleerekoper Q, Guo X, Howarth JW, Solaro RJ, Rosevear PR

NMR spectroscopy and selective isotope labeling of both recombinant cardiac troponin C (cTnC3) and a truncated cardiac troponin I (cTnI/NH2) lacking the N-terminal 32-amino acid cardiac-specific sequence have been used to probe protein-protein interactions central to muscle contraction. Using [methyl-13C]Met-labeled cTnC3, all 10 cTnC Met residues of Ca(2+)-saturated cTnC3 could be resolved in the two-dimensional heteronuclear single- and multiple-quantum coherence spectrum of the cTnI.cTnC complex. Based on the known Met assignments in cTnC3, the largest chemical shift changes were observed for Met81, Met120, Met137, and Met157. Methionines 120, 137, and 157 are all located in the C-terminal domain of cTnC. Methionine 81 is located at the N terminus of the central helix. Minimal chemical shift changes were observed for Met45, Met47, and Met103 of cTnC3 in the cTnI.cTnC complex. All 6 Met residues in [methyl13C]Met-labeled cTnI/NH2 could be resolved in the cTnI.cTnC complex, suggesting that both cTnI and cTnC form a stable homogeneous binary complex under the conditions of the NMR experiment. In the absence of added protease inhibitors in the cTnI.cTnC complex, cTnI/NH2 was found to undergo selective proteolysis to yield a 5.5-kDa N-terminal fragment corresponding to residues 33-80. Judging from the NMR spectra of [methyl13C]Met-labeled cTnC3, cTnI-(33-80) was sufficient for interaction with the C-terminal domain of cTnC in a manner identical to that observed for native cTnI/NH2. However, in the presence of the proteolytic fragment cTnI-(33-80), the chemical shift of Met81 was not perturbed from its position in free cTnC3. Thus, residues located C-terminal to Arg80 in cTnI appear to be responsible for interaction with the N-terminal half of cTnC. Taken together, these results provide strong evidence for an antiparallel arrangement for the two proteins in the troponin complex such that the N-terminal portion of cTnI interacts with the C-terminal domain of cTnC. This interaction likely plays a role in maintaining the stability of the TnI.TnC complex.

PMID: 8089144 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Source: PubMed