BioNMR

BioNMR (http://www.bionmr.com/forum/)
-   Journal club (http://www.bionmr.com/forum/journal-club-9/)
-   -   [NMR paper] c-MYC G-quadruplex binding by the RNA polymerase I inhibitor BMH-21 and analogues revealed by a combined NMR and biochemical Approach. (http://www.bionmr.com/forum/journal-club-9/c-myc-g-quadruplex-binding-rna-polymerase-i-inhibitor-bmh-21-analogues-revealed-combined-nmr-biochemical-approach-25436/)

nmrlearner 12-13-2017 06:15 PM

c-MYC G-quadruplex binding by the RNA polymerase I inhibitor BMH-21 and analogues revealed by a combined NMR and biochemical Approach.

c-MYC G-quadruplex binding by the RNA polymerase I inhibitor BMH-21 and analogues revealed by a combined NMR and biochemical Approach.

Related Articles c-MYC G-quadruplex binding by the RNA polymerase I inhibitor BMH-21 and analogues revealed by a combined NMR and biochemical Approach.

Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017 Dec 08;:

Authors: Musso L, Mazzini S, Rossini A, Castagnoli L, Scaglioni L, Artali R, Di Nicola M, Zunino F, Dallavalle S

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Pyridoquinazolinecarboxamides have been reported as RNA polymerase I inhibitors and represent a novel class of potential antitumor agents. BMH-21, was reported to intercalate with GC-rich rDNA, resulting in nucleolar stress as a primary mechanism of cytotoxicity.
METHODS: The interaction of BMH-21 and analogues with DNA G-quadruplex structures was studied by NMR and molecular modelling. The cellular response was investigated in a panel of human tumor cell lines and protein expression was examined by Western Blot analysis.
RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS: We explored the ability of BMH-21 and its analogue 2 to bind to G-quadruplex present in the c-MYC promoter, by NMR and molecular modelling studies. We provide evidence that both compounds are not typical DNA intercalators but are effective binders of the tested G-quadruplex. The interaction with c-MYC G-quadruplex was reflected in down-regulation of c-Myc expression in human tumor cells. The inhibitory effect was almost complete in lymphoma cells SUDHL4 characterized by overexpression of c-Myc protein. This downregulation reflected an early and persistent modulation of cMyc mRNA. Given the relevance of c-MYC in regulation of ribosome biogenesis, it is conceivable that the inhibition of c-MYC contributes to the perturbation of nuclear functions and RNA polymerase I activity. Similar experiments with CX-5461, another RNA polymerase I transcription inhibitor, indicate the same behaviour in G-quadruplex stabilization.
GENERAL SIGNIFICANCE: Our results support the hypothesis that BMH-21 and analogue compounds share the same mechanism, i.e. G-quadruplex binding as a primary event of a cascade leading to inhibition of RNA polymerase I and apoptosis.

PMID: 29229300 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

More...