View Single Post
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50.7%
Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase
NMR Credits: 0
NMR Points: 0
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Assignment of the side-chain 1H and 13C resonances of interleukin-1 beta using double

Assignment of the side-chain 1H and 13C resonances of interleukin-1 beta using double- and triple-resonance heteronuclear three-dimensional NMR spectroscopy.

Related Articles Assignment of the side-chain 1H and 13C resonances of interleukin-1 beta using double- and triple-resonance heteronuclear three-dimensional NMR spectroscopy.

Biochemistry. 1990 Sep 4;29(35):8172-84

Authors: Clore GM, Bax A, Driscoll PC, Wingfield PT, Gronenborn AM

The assignment of the aliphatic 1H and 13C resonances of IL-1 beta, a protein of 153 residues and molecular mass 17.4 kDa, is presented by use of a number of novel three-dimensional (3D) heteronuclear NMR experiments which rely on large heteronuclear one-bond J couplings to transfer magnetization and establish through-bond connectivities. These 3D NMR experiments circumvent problems traditionally associated with the application of conventional 2D 1H-1H correlation experiments to proteins of this size, in particular the extensive chemical shift overlap which precludes the interpretation of the spectra and the reduced sensitivity arising from 1H line widths that are often significantly larger than the 1H-1H J couplings. The assignment proceeds in two stages. In the first step the 13C alpha chemical shifts are correlated with the NH and 15N chemical shifts by a 3D triple-resonance NH-15N-13C alpha (HNCA) correlation experiment which reveals both intraresidue NH(i)-15N(i)-13C alpha (i) and some weaker interresidue NH(i)-15N(i)-C alpha (i-1) correlations, the former via intraresidue one-bond 1JNC alpha and the latter via interresidue two-bond 2JNC alpha couplings. As the NH, 15N, and C alpha H chemical shifts had previously been sequentially assigned by 3D 1H Hartmann-Hahn 15N-1H multiple quantum coherence (3D HOHAHA-HMQC) and 3D heteronuclear 1H nuclear Overhauser 15N-1H multiple quantum coherence (3D NOESY-HMQC) spectroscopy [Driscoll, P.C., Clore, G.M., Marion, D., Wingfield, P.T., & Gronenborn, A.M. (1990) Biochemistry 29, 3542-3556], the 3D triple-resonance HNCA correlation experiment permits the sequence-specific assignments of 13C alpha chemical shifts in a straightforward manner. The second step involves the identification of side-chain spin systems by 3D 1H-13C-13C-1H correlated (HCCH-COSY) and 3D 1H-13C-13C-1H total correlated (HCCH-TOCSY) spectroscopy, the latter making use of isotropic mixing of 13C magnetization to obtain relayed connectivities along the side chains. Extensive cross-checks are provided in the assignment procedure by examination of the connectivities between 1H resonances at all the corresponding 13C shifts of the directly bonded 13C nuclei. In this manner, we were able to obtain complete 1H and 13C side-chain assignments for all residues, with the exception of 4 (out of a total of 15) lysine residues for which partial assignments were obtained. The 3D heteronuclear correlation experiments described are highly sensitive, and the required set of three 3D spectra was recorded in only 1 week of measurement time on a single uniformly 15N/13C-labeled 1.7 mM sample of interleukin-1 beta.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)

PMID: 2261471 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Source: PubMed

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No