View Single Post
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100 Points: 193,617, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50.7%
Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase
NMR Credits: 0
NMR Points: 0
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Micelle-bound conformation of a hairpin-forming peptide: combined NMR and molecular d

Micelle-bound conformation of a hairpin-forming peptide: combined NMR and molecular dynamics study.

Related Articles Micelle-bound conformation of a hairpin-forming peptide: combined NMR and molecular dynamics study.

Biopolymers. 2002 Nov 15;65(4):284-98

Authors: Dixon AM, Venable RM, Pastor RW, Bull TE

A peptide fragment from a protein hairpin turn region was modified by addition of isoleucine residues to both ends to enhance binding to lipid micelles; the resulting peptide (I(1)-I(2)-C(3)-N(4)-N(5)-P(6)-H(7)-I(8)-I(9)) contains the core sequence I-C-N-N-P-H from an antibody-binding region of hemagglutinin A. Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) diffusion measurements indicated partial binding (43-65%) of the peptide to micelles of n-octylglucoside and significantly stronger binding (85%) to dodecylphosphocholine (DPC) micelles. Simulated annealing and conformational analysis using nuclear Overhauser enhancement restraints revealed a type I or III hairpin turn between residues N(5) and I(8) of the DPC-bound peptide. Amide exchange experiments support the possibility that a hydrogen bond forms between N(5) and I(8), stabilizing the turn. In contrast, no discernable structure was observed for the peptide in aqueous solution by either NMR or circular dichroism. Molecular dynamics simulations of DPC micelles and peptide-micelle complexes suggested that the peptide lies flat on the micelle surface and showed rapid rearrangement of the lipids to accommodate the bound peptide. According to a search performed using the basic local alignment search tool (BLAST), the sequences N-P-H-I and N-P-H-V are present as hairpin turns in eight of the nine proteins whose crystal structures were available. The addition of isoleucine residues and the use of lipid micelles to stabilize hairpin conformations equivalent to those found in proteins generates new possibilities for reproducing biologically important hairpin turns from short, linear peptides.

PMID: 12382289 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Source: PubMed

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No